(Gluten-Free)
I tested this recipe out tonight, actually. My friend's mother writes a popular food/cooking blog and generously gave me some new gluten-free cook books for Christmas.
Mozzarella sticks were one of my favorite appetizers/snacks when I properly tolerated gluten. Now that I've found this recipe, and that it worked out well, I'm really excited to make it again. I've adapted and slightly changed the original that can be found in Kelli & Peter Bronski's Artisanal Gluten-Free Cooking.
Materials:
1 pound brick mozzarella cheese (or pre-made cheese sticks) (not fresh!!)
3/4 cup All Purpose GF flour
1 egg
2 tablespoons water
2 cups Italian seasoned GF bread crumbs
(I like Glutino brand with some basil, oregano, garlic powder, salt and pepper)
Canola oil
1. Cut the mozzarella sticks into sticks about 1/2 inch square and 3 inches long (or use the cheese sticks)
2. Put the flour in a small, flat dish. Whisk the egg and water together in another shallow dish. Put the bread crumbs in a third shallow dish. Season each of the dishes with the spices.
3. Dredge the cheese sticks in the flour, then the egg wash, and lastly coat them with the bread crumbs.
4. At this point, FREEZE! The frying process will go much more smoothly if you freeze the cheese sticks first. The bread crumbs will solidify with the egg wash and the cheese won't melt so quickly. So, freeze them for a while (until frozen), about 30 minutes.
5. Heat roughly 1/4 inch oil in a skillet over medium-high heat (not a smoking oil, but certainly warm).In smallish batches, add the cheese sticks to the oil until golden-brown (takes about a minute).
6. Place the mozzarella sticks on a plate/pan lined with some paper towels so the grease doesn't get everywhere. Enjoy!
No comments:
Post a Comment